Monday, December 11, 2023

Sugared Candy Canes ~ Mixed Media Monday

Hello friends ~  I've got a Mixed Media project for you today, featuring Honeybee Stamps Lovely Layers: Candy Cane Honey Cuts.  

These candy canes are pure sweetness when they're glittered up!  I started by spraying Bundled Sage distress ink onto my craft mat, dipping watercolor paper onto the mat.  After drying it with my heat tool, I repeated the process three times, finally adding Heidi Swap Gold Shimmer Spray to the mat for a final layer on the paper.  

   
I did the same thing to another piece of watercolor paper using Pine Needles Distress Ink and Gold Shimmer.  I cut the pine sprigs from the Candy Cane die set out of the first colored piece of cardstock and I cut the holly leaves out of the second colored piece of cardstock.  Using a paintbrush, I added some texture paste to the edges of the holly leaves and sprinkled them with Elizabeth Craft Designs Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter.  I added a bit of white paint using a paint pen to the tips of the pine sprigs then set them aside to dry.

I cut the candy cane layers out of white, red and pink cardstock and layered the candy cane together using liquid glue.  I pressed the candy cane onto the Be Creative Embossing and Watermark Ink Pad and dipped it into WOW! Clear Gloss Ultra High Embossing Powder, quickly sprinkling it again with Silk Microfine Glitter and then heat set it again.  I love how this step really set the glitter in place.  The glitter won't rub off and it gives it a bit of an aged look.  I did the same thing to the numbers.

These candy canes look good enough to eat and the sparkle and shine on this card is amazing!  I added a bit of Copic and white gel pen detail to the berries and added just a touch of Real Red Silk Microfine Glitter around the edges.  

Here's a list of products I used today:

Honeybee Stamps Lovely Layers: Candy Cane Honey Cuts
WOW! Clear Gloss Ultra High Embossing Powder
Bee Creative Clear Embossing and Watermark Ink Pad



Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! This is a STUNNING card Birgit and truly a work of heart!! I love the holly leaves and sprigs with all their layers of color, and then of course the star of the card...those FABULOUS candy canes!! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

I Card Everyone said...

This is the perfect example of why I leave mixed media to the pros - and that definitely means YOU, Birgit! I LOve the look of the glitter and all your mopped up watercolor goodness! SO beautiful!
=]

Donna Phelan said...

Love all of the glittery goodness of this pretty gem! The layered candy canes look awesome as does your pretty greenery! Very Merry! Hope you are getting lots and lots of snuggles in!

Lisa Elton said...

Now THIS is a Christmas card! Layer upon layer of loveliness, Birgit. The glittery candy canes are fabulous and you know I love that polka dot background!

Conniecrafter said...

It is just gorgeous set, I love the sparkle you brought to them, such a pretty arrangement of it all!