Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Christmas In July ~ Double D Challenges

Top o' the mornin' to ya, friends!  We're in the midst of summer and Double D Challenges is trying to cool things off by bringing you Christmas In July.

Several months ago, I was the winner of this darling little car die from Marleen Van Der Most, of Handmade by Marleen.  She is one of the amazing designers of Marianne Designs Dies.  

I went right to work cutting and piecing the car, and the little mouse family together.  I wanted this to look like it was a crazy, chaotic ride to grandma mouse's house on Christmas Eve.  That was our Christmas tradition when I was growing up and we held on to the tradition when we all had kids.  Christmas Eve at Grammy & Grampa's house.  We were a lively bunch when we all got together and controlled chaos was the norm.  These memories are all so dear to me now that both of my parents are gone.  

I stenciled the background with soft pink clouds, because I'm sure the clouds are pink in heaven!  You've got tiny mouse climbing up the tree in the back seat, where the tree is poking out the sunroof window.  Gifts and hats are flying off in the excitement to get to grandma's house, while mama mouse is trying to keep her wits about her.


The sentiment in my mind is a bit of tongue in cheek, as this ride looks like anything but peaceful but it's certainly joyful!

I do hope you'll swing by Double D Challenges to see more fun inspiration from the talented design team.  I for one am thankful to have one card to add to my Christmas card pile, as I'm a known procrastinator when it comes to getting my Christmas cards done in time for Christmas.  

Here's a little inspiration to help you get started:

And here's what you could win when you play along:

Thanks for stopping by!


12 comments:

Diane said...

Absolutely adorably cute cute cute!! This card would certainly make any recipient smile BIG when receiving it ,as it is darling!! We used to spend Christmas Eve with my grandma too, though we didn't drive there as she lived next door!! Fabulous card my friend!!

Donna Phelan said...

It looks exactly like that, jammed packed Holiday Chaos--love it! This is what it is all about! Merry Merry!

Marcia Hill said...

Not only a sweet, sweet card, but a SWEET post with all your commentary about riding to grandma's mouse house...LOVED it!! And all the detail you crammed into that tiny car...oh my gosh Birgit, it is just ADORABLE!! Your wonderful memories have brought back a few of my own...a wonderful way to start my day and put a smile on my face!! Thanks sweet friend!! Hugs. :0)

Barbara said...

I love how you describe that card and the story behind it. That family of mice is so lucky to be on this card. Just so sweet and amazing.

Darlene said...

OMG how cute is this card!!! Love these little guys out doing their holiday shopping! LOL What a fun & fabulous DT creation ... thanks!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Birgit! You took the words right out of my mouth as I was thinking it looks like a wild ride to Grandma's house for Christmas, even with the presents flying. Hope all the kids make it there okay! Christmas is a season of both peace and joy, and this illustrates some of the joy perfectly. Lovelovelove it!

Doni High said...

This card is adorable! I loved reading about this sweet mouse family and their ride to Grandmas house what a sweet way to relive precious memories.

Judy Woodland said...

Well how stinkin' CUTE is this. Those little mice are making me smile, I feel like I'm being stared at....lol. I just love this card, thanks for the grin!!

Lisa Elton said...

This is an overload of sweetness, Birgit and I love it! The car is darling and the way you filled it with those little mice and gifts is just brilliant! Thanks for sharing your memories ;)

Vicki said...

Family road trip fun! So many memories come to mind of trips to church on Christmas Eve and then to my grandmother's afterward. Seven of us in the car with holiday garb and gifts. Love this little mice family traveling for the holiday in a VW Beetle too! Adorable, Birgit.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh what a fun and cute card you have created with this set, and such sweet memories you have, my grandparents all passed away by the time I was very young, so I never knew them. My daughter has decided not to have kids so I will never know what being a Grandma is like either. But I do know my parents were great grandparents to my daughter :) You have done a great job with these fun dies that you won, Congrats!

aussie aNNie said...

Adorable creation and fabulous design x